Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 47 - Bridget Turns The Big 5000

From – Richmond (VA)
To – Fredericksburg (VA)
Miles Driven - 50

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157611419260555/

I love stats, so here’s a few for you that helps put our progress into context. So far we have traveled a spit over 5000 miles since leaving New York just over 6 ½ weeks ago. Now if we would have driven in a straight line south (and the car could drive on water) then we would be in Rio de Janeiro by now. If we would have gone east then we would be just shy of Moscow; West then we’d be in the middle of the Pacific; North then we would have frozen to death. As such, the fact that we are only 279 south of New York is actually a bit worrying. Perhaps our initial estimate of 6 months for this trip was a bit low because if it takes us 47 days to go a net 279 miles then it should take us 1 year and 4 months to drive to San Diego (the very south western tip of North America) and that assumes we’ll be going in a straight line (which we’re not). Of course this is a distorted view of the trip as we have managed to visit 13 of the 50 states already so if that rate continues, and we visit every state (which is unlikely) then, spookily, the trip should last exactly 6 months. I would also conservatively estimate that we are walking about 4 miles every day so if the trip does take 6 months then we’ll have walked 730 miles by the end which, if Kate, Molly and I did in relay would stretch from New York to Aspen, Colorado.

What’s my point? Well I haven’t got one but that did allow me to dabble in Excel which I find strangely exciting and anyone who has ever worked with me will know that the spreadsheet I created was incredibly neat and caked in pastel shading.

Anyway, Day 47. What happened today? Drove to Fredericksburg which is beautiful, quaint, friendly and closed on Sundays. Walked from my hotel into town which is 3 miles, of which 1 is highway and hence we were dodging articulated lorries for a while. Had some lunch from Caroline Street Café (grilled panini of salami, turkey, havarti and mustard…yum), ate it on a bench and realized that I have 24 hours before Kate returns so it’s about time I thought about buying her a Christmas pressie. She says that I don’t need to get her anything as she bought some shoes whilst in England which I’ll be funding but if there’s nothing to unwrap on Christmas day then clearly the bottom lip will be quivering. The trouble is, everything was closed in the village (the residents are probably at carol practice or something equally twee) so I had to hit the Central Park Mega-Mall Complex in the evening. Local shop owners are pretty vocal with their moaning when suburban mega-malls open but the fact of the matter is that if the mom ‘n’ pop stores aren’t open when unorganized husbands need nik-naks then they’re going to lose out.

Now obviously I can’t tell you where I went and what I bought (although I can report that I am quite proud of my surprisingly thoughtful gifts) but it was interesting to note the air of calm in the shops, despite being the last non-business shopping evening before the big event. Despite the ease of the trip, it still took me about 3 hours because of how far apart each shop is, even within the same shopping complex. As it marched on so late, rather than hit a local eatery, I got something microwaveable, a bottle of red (my first drink in three days!) and I’m settled in the room for a night of wrapping, eating, drinking and watching the Norleans Bowl (whatever the chuff that is).
Back to DC tomorrow to pick up the missus (assuming she comes back – I’m happy to offer odds for those interested in a wager) and see the Air & Space museum that I missed out on first time round. Marvelous.

No comments: