Sunday, December 14, 2008

Day 37 - Deer, Sharks & Ribs…Oh My!

Author – Grant
Based In - Baltimore

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157611227739348/
I’ve not updated the blog for a few days so I was hoping to bash out the detail of Day 37 in a few punchy paragraphs. However, looking back at the photos, it seems like quite a lot happened so I guess I had better do it justice…although there may be more “pictures speak a thousand words” moments than usual.

A recurring theme in the trip has been the general lack of wildlife. For example, despite touring New England for the best part of a month, we have seen infinitely more “Caution – Moose” signs than actual moose (i.e. we have seen none) and, pound for pound, I think I have eaten more deer than I have seen stood in fields. As such, I was a happy camper when a flock/herd/gang/bunch/gaggle/pride of deer crossed my path whilst walking the mutt through the woods surrounding Loch Raven in Northern Baltimore. Unfortunately Kate didn’t get to see this spectacle because she was back in the room snoring and I knew she wouldn’t believe me after the previous 36 day’s constant, yet largely unsuccessful, deer spotting escapades. Obviously Molly chased them away first time round but on the return trip I was ready for them as Molly was on the lead and I was mimicking Bill Oddie (a UK nature geek) with soft steps and shallow breathing. Turns out I didn’t need to be so subtle as one of the baby deer was a cocky little bugger and was happy to pose for photos. He/she even stayed round long enough to be video’d but it didn’t juggle or anything so I’m not going to earn $250 from it. I’ve had worse morning rambles…

Next it was time to explore Baltimore. First stop, the Charm City Cakes shop which is where they film Ace of Cakes. Oh don’t pretend you don’t watch it. The web site is pretty shirty and hammers home how little they want visitors (as well as communicating that they are not accepting any orders until 2009 and that there is a $1000 minimum cake cost..gulp) which I can only assume was written by Mary-Ellen (the stroppy, talent-less receptionist who, like the Brazilian goalie, is heavily carried by the talented people she is surrounded by). But that didn’t stop us trying to peak into the windows (not a chance – they are covered by black-out standard blinds) and get the obligatory cheesy photos outside the entrance, all whilst being laughed at by the people in the café opposite the shop who, I am sure, have books running on how many sad Food Network fans will pass by that day. I just love seeing things in real life that I usually only get to see on the magic box so I was already a bit giddy as we got back into the car to drive off. And then Mary-Smith (the sweet chubby Asian girl) pulled up to the shop. Well, I nearly burst…and mentioned it about 10 times an hour for the rest of the day.

Next stops were Baltimore’s two food markets; Lexington Market and Cross Street Market. First, Lexington market which was, quite frankly, intimidating. In a country renowned for “Have a Nice Day”; this place seemed to exude “Go F*&% Yourself”. The raw produce looked decent enough but the cooked stuff looked pap. I tried one of the $5 crab-cakes from a shop claiming to have the best in Baltimore (and they had the press write-ups to prove it) which was reheated in the microwave and hence was soggy. I’m sure it was good fresh and it’s not like the place had a line round the corner so why they didn’t just cook it fresh is a mystery. There was also an extension to the market which is worth a mention because I have never encountered such a rotten smell in all my born days…and I have combed the alleys of Bangkok (but enough said about that the better). I can only assume they were selling 10 day old human bodies in there but fortunately we didn’t get deep enough into the market to verify this. Cross Market was less putrid and less intimidating but still didn’t provide us with any decent food beyond a couple of monster butties. Ho hum

With late afternoon approaching and the possibility of leaving Baltimore town centre on a down note, we went touristy and hit the National Aquarium which is situated in the renovated bay area. You know when you’re in a renovated area of a city as Hard Rock Café will have stamped their mark on the place in much the same way that a skunk marks its territory. I could wax lyrical about the aquarium all day but it’s best to look through the attached gallery of photos and see for yourself. Much fun was had by all…well, all except the fish who are stuck in tanks rather than performing musical numbers with Arial.

We’ve been feeling a bit guilty recently about the amount of dough we have been piling through and also a bit worried about our nightly dependence on sinking several pints so dinner tonight was due to be supermarket salads in the hotel room watching TV. However, the salad bar of the supermarket opposite our hotel was closed and, without having anywhere to cook, we could either chew on raw chicken for dinner or hit the bar/grill next to the supermarket…it’s a no-brainer really. And would you believe it – they did ribs and had a pub-quiz starting just 5 minutes after we waddled through the door – I couldn’t have planned it any better. So, two hours later we were in last place in a quiz that was deeply US biased (I neither know nor care how many counties are in Maryland…although actually we were only two away which is a complete miracle) and bet all eight of our points on the final question…which we got wrong…and hence we finished last with precisely zero points. We have a degree and a masters degree between us so this wasn’t our finest moment.

Despite being the wrong side of a good few pints, it took a few more seconds than usual to get to sleep that night as I was reciting the exact spelling of the recently disgraced Illinois Governor’s surname and other equally useless information.


Off to the capital tomorrow which is exciting for many reasons but none more than the fact that I can shove my wife on a plane for a week on Monday. Yippee!

No comments: