Monday, December 15, 2008

Day 41 – Kate Quits The Trip

From – The Nice Part of Washington DC
To – The Nasty Part of Washington DC
Via – The Airport
Eliminated - Kate

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157611311186492/
In true Americana style, I’ve been treating Kate’s cheekiness with a strict “three strikes and you’re out” policy. Yesterday she overstepped the line and hence she is currently on a plane back to England on a one week time out leaving me and Molly with some alone time. But before I banished her, we had time for a final look round Washington to mop up some of the sights we have missed over the previous few days. In actual fact I think we could easily stay here another week and still barely scratch the surface as this is one city with a seriously full list of attractions. So with very achy legs after yesterday’s run, the three of us set off with the general, vague plan of doing a loop of Capitol Hill and seeing what we saw on the way. And that’s the beauty of this city because during the 2 ½ mile walk from our hotel to the home of Congress (and some other government buildings that perform functions that I can’t even pretend to really understand) we saw the White House (yet again, but it isn’t getting any less impressive) where they are busy building the crowd stands for what is predicted to be the most attended presidential inauguration ever on Jan 20th, The US Treasury, The FBI Headquarters and the site of the first singing of the national anthem (OK, I admit this one is a little weak). I’m sure we passed at least a dozen other equally impressive buildings but I have no idea what they housed and we were on a bit of a march due to a time crunch. Capitol Hill sits at one end of The Mall with the Lincoln Memorial at the other but they are still a good 45 minute walk from each other with The Washington Memorial providing a convenient half way marker and I can confirm that Molly has now urinated on each of these landmarks.

With a huge amount of sadness it was time to say goodbye to central Washington and our beautiful hotel and, for me, swap them for the extremely dodgy outskirts of Washington and a pretty crappy hotel where I have just realised that I can’t swivel the TV round because it is nailed to the counter top. To further paint the grim picture, the back of the door contains implicit instructions on using the deadbolt and not to answer the door to anyone at night unless they put their picture ID under the door. Nice. I’m only still here because I dropped Kate at the airport earlier and couldn’t be bothered driving further east where it gets a bit nicer so it’s my own lazy-ass fault. So there will be no merry tale of an eventful night out tonight as basically I am too scared to leave the room. This room will serve the simple purpose of being somewhere to rest my weary head and then I’ll be heading eastbound nice and early tomorrow morning…assuming the car survives the night.


Wish me luck…

No comments: