Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 44 - You Can Take The Boy Out Of Blackpool...

Scribe - Grant
From - Lewes (Delaware)
To - Virginia Beach (duh, Virginia)
Via - Ocean City, Berlin, Snow Hill and Cape George
Miles Driven - 178 (that's alot for an old boy like me)
Brain Mode - Off


7am start today and, because the day was likely to contain a fair amount of driving, Molly needs a good hour walk before I eat a healthy breakfast, make a large charitable donation to Toys for Tots, pack up the car and hit the open road by 9am. Well, that was the plan (except the charitable donation, of course) but unfortunately I woke up face down on a slightly drool-dampened pillow at 9:30 with two invisible midgets driving nails into my head. It’s fun to try lots of different beers in one night but there is a clear downside. Now it’s interesting that my inner alarm woke me at 9:30 which is the usual breakfast cut-off time but, unless I wanted to lick the damp mold on the ceiling of the bathroom, this particular motel had no such luxury on offer so the first stop of the day had to be at the very first sign of food down the road. The first food sign, however, was a big yellow capital M. Don’t judge me, I was hungover…

I had no clear plan today other than to head further south and stop whenever something looked interesting enough to warrant getting my drowsy fat ass out of the car. To be totally honest, I was incredibly happy to drift along the winding roads of Delmarva at 55mph with my brain officially on standby listening to the complete drivel chat on National Public Radio. I could listen to this pap for hours – the more hideously biased the conversation, the better. Today’s route took in a few seriously contrasting towns. First on the radar (after trying and failing to visit a closed state park) was Ocean City which seems to be an eight mile strip of hotels, burger joints and mini-golf courses (there had to be at least a dozen – I’m sure Team USA will be petitioning the IOC to include it in London 2012 games) all on a long thin island with beaches either side. All good in theory and I hear it gets heaving in the summer (especially over the “legendary” Spring Break) but out of season it just looks like a concrete jungle that is showing some serious signs of ageing. In total contrast, the next two stops were Berlin (booo) and Snow Hill (aaah) which were both cuter than *insert your own cute image here* - may I suggest a puppy with bows on for the girls and an Asian hooker for the boys. Cape George was next, not because it was particularly nice but because both Molly and I needed bowel movements…too much information, I know. Still, it did have a few signs up explaining that the whole Chesapeake Bay area was the result of an impact from a 2 mile wide meteor…a while ago. Sorry not to be more specific but you may be learning that history isn’t my strong point. I’d like to claim that it’s because I’m the kind of guy that lives for today etc but the reality is that I only have a small brain and it is already full with Roxette lyrics. Also well worth a mention is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel which connects Delmarva to mainland Virginia. It’s over 20 miles long, cost $450m and, as you drive it, goes bridge, tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge. It might seem like they were messing about but the two tunnel parts are to allow boats through – clever, eh? Well I thought so.

Now it has really amuses me that, left completely to my own devises, I have ended up in Virginia Beach. It’s a seasonal sea-side resort that’s tries to attract family but actually only attracts drinkers. Most people who live here whine relentlessly that business isn’t as good as last year. The weather is a bit iffy. Have you got it yet? Final clue, there are illuminations! That’s right, it’s the American Blackpool (my home town back in Blighty)! My brain was still off when I arrived so, despite the literally hundreds of hotels on offer here, I headed for the familiar glow of the Days Inn sign to camp for the night. And would you believe it, my $60 room (very nice by the way, sea view with balcony) came with a free ticket for the Christmas light drive through (a frightening $10 value that I would most certainly not have paid - free is my fave price you know). The route is along the normally pedestrian-only “boardwalk” (which is actually concrete) and they are everything you would expect from a Christmas light display…well, except for the huge “God Bless America” tabloid. It was pretty well done but my favourite parts were the dancing Christmas tree which lit up in time to the music on 107.3FM, the dog biscuits they gave me at the start for my date and the Christmas CD that came with the ticket which perfectly matches the light themes as you drive along at 5mh. The 12 Days of Christmas montage towards the end was particularly impressive.

Dinner was a rather fine in-room pizza from the joint across the road. I think this isn’t going to be a very foody blog whilst I’m on my own as I’m less likely to be fine dining. I don’t mind doing the “table for one please” thing but Molly is a bit needy at the moment as she seems to understand that 50% of her parents are absent which is making her a bit more needy and moody than usual…I’m surprised my joyous mood and endless energy isn’t rubbing off on her more…

Staying a second night in Virginia Beach tomorrow as we haven’t had a two night stop anywhere for a while and it’s nice to have a slightly less nomadic day. I might go crazy and unpack a single pair of boxers and put them in a draw. Mental.

2 comments:

Mykonos said...

Aw Dumsers, the beach, and the totem pole...reminds me of all the time I spent there with my ex-wife. So, thanks for that you cheeky bastard. (I love the giant, illuminate crab).

teddy said...

God Bless Who?