Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 6 – Biking, Hair dying & Lobsters (AKA Kates 1st blog)

Date : 10th November 2008
From : Outskirts of Portland
To: Outskirts of PortlandVia: Cape Elizabeth & 3 more Lighthouses
Miles cycled: 20 ish
Lighthouses photographed so far: enough already
Day 6 Photo Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157608896167030/

The readers who have met me will all know that I mumble when I speak. What you may not know is that I have an even bigger problem with my writing but Grant has done a lot of work setting up the blog and so felt it was about time that I should chip in (in reality he told me I had to write some of it and 5 days was all I could get away with). So here goes…

We are only 6 days in and I already feel like I’m putting on weight so Grant planned a picturesque sea side bike ride for us to get some exercise. What first started out as a 4 mile ride ended up being a 20 something mile ride through rolling hills in the freezing cold. You would think that peddling faster would warm us up but the resulting wind in face effect only seemed to make things worse. That’s my excuse and Im sticking to it for my incredibly slow speed on the hills especially as I recently gave myself the nickname Spokes and started to claim biking was my new hobby. Grant had to spend most of the ride waiting for me at the bottom of the hills and yelling at me to pedal faster from the top of hills. Apparently there is an amazing Lobster shack at Cape Elizabeth but as you can probably tell from the dejected look on Grants face in the pictures and because its becoming a theme on this trip the Lobster shack was closed for the season. Still the views were great and now that we have stopped shivering I can say it was a good day out.

For a few months now Grant has been obsessing over my hair asking me to dye it the same colour as some girl from college that he fancies. Recently he has stepped up the nagging somewhat and so weak from all the cycling I finally caved and bought an auburn home hair dye kit - yikes. Home hair dye is not really a one man job so I was forced to use Grant Macs Beauty Salon with surprisingly good results. After just 30 mins my hair was evenly coloured and I didn’t even have to leave the hotel room. On the other hand my stylist was practically naked and yelled at me for moving too much.

All of the hair excitement on top of our bike trek gave us the hungers and so based on a recommendation from a friendly boozed up couple we headed to Gilberts for dinner. The chowder soup was seriously good but it’s all about the Lobster at Gilberts. Served on paper plates with a bib and a bowl of melted butter as the dipping sauce the meal was a real experience. By the time we left I had lobster on my sleeves and in my hair (Grant was wearing short sleeves and has no hair so faired a bit better) but happily we also had plenty in our bellies.

It’s time to pass the blog to Grant for editing now so I’ll sign off . Peaks Island tomorrow with Molly ……..

4 comments:

Unknown said...

is it me, or is Grant totally taking a crap in that picture?

i like lobster too.

Darlene said...

kudos to you kate for a job well done. i cant tell you how this blog has become a major part of my day. i tell everyone i know about it and to read it with the accent in mind..how long will this last..please tell me for some months to come..love you both

Scottish Auntie said...

Fingers crossed that I have successfully managed to post this comment. Enjoying the read

Scottish Auntie said...

David says I have to say something funny now that I have managed to post but I am too tired to think of anything after my struggles. Take care of each other.