Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Day 20 – I’m Hungry

Author – Grant
From - Ogdensburg (NY)
To – The Outskirts of Fair Haven (NY), which is hardly a metropolis to begin with (NY)
Miles Driven – 175 Miles

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157610118902248/

Don’t expect the usual dissertation today because my belly is rumbling and we are in a city with a legendary bar-be-que place around the corner so the longer I spend writing this, the longer it will be until I have my choppers around some tender pig and Molly is already looking like one of those cartoon rotisserie chickens. In fact, it works out quite well because Day 20 involved a whole heap of driving so there’s not barrels of world breaking events to report. As such, let me just give you a brief list of the highlights of the day (i.e. the things that particularly stand out rather than the usual Dickens-esque descriptive soliloquy about the way the light shines off the frost blah blah blah) which saves all of us time and ensures that Porky didn’t die in vain and that I don’t waste away.

Therefore, in no particular order…

1) Visiting Thousand Islands in the Lawrence River Bay (the river that either feeds into or out of Ontario Lake, I haven’t been paying that close attention) – it’s a collection of about 1800 stunning islands, some of which are inhabited and some of which seem to contain a tree and a goat. One that stands out is a heart shaped one that some guy (I don’t have time to look up who, they may be selling out of ribs as I type) bought for his wife, built a castle on and then she died. There’s a moral in there somewhere but all I take out of the story is that building your wife a castle on a heart shaped island is a waste of time when Argos sell perfectly good foot spas.
2) Stopping in dozens of State Parks to walk our pampered pooch but my favourite was on a beach with a kid’s climbing frame with various slides. I regressed into a 3 year old for a good 5 minutes before banging my head (the 32 year old equivalent of grazing your knee) and having to retire. But I didn’t cry. I also tried to take (i.e. push) Molly down a slide but she was having none of it and chose to jump 12 feet down instead. I think she is part lemming.
3) Breaking into a mini-golf course that was close for the season (shocker) which was perfect for a freebie game given that I am carrying my clubs and some spare balls round in the car. But apparently this is against Kate’s morals…she can be so Sandra Dee at times. Admittedly it was minus 8 degree outside though…
4) I got mugged by a dog. No, really. I was buying booze in the world’s worst stocked liquor store (seriously, my gran’s sideboard could get more people squiffy than the contents of this shop) when the resident mascot (a friendly looking spaniel) took a dollar bill out of my hand and wouldn’t give it back. When I finally got it back through a genius diversion plan (belly rubbing) it was so soaked in dog saliva that I gave it back. Seriously, you have to tip everyone here in America.

5) Trying to find accommodation in Fair Haven was like trying to find an ice-cream van but we met many nice people in the process. Finally the motel we found had none of what we wanted (a kitchen, near a bar, non-foam mattresses etc) but it was getting close to going dark and we didn’t fancy a night in Bridget (the car, not Hef’s girlfriend…although…) so in we piled. When asked about somewhere to eat, our temporary landlord said there was a place 5 miles west but it wasn’t very good. So, instead, dinner was an incredibly good toffee apple crumble with vanilla ice-cream from a farmer’s market 11 miles east.

West to Rochester tomorrow which is our final stop before hitting the Thanksgiving celebrations in Buffalo. In the immortal words of the pilgrims, I’m well excited.

No comments: