Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 99 - We're Going To Hell

Author – Grant
Based In – New Orleans

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157613680266328/

Both our alarms went off at 6am when a quick, almost wordless conversation composed mainly of grunts resulted in the joint decision to sack off our first day of volunteering to restore houses with the United Saints 1st Street Project in favour of sleeping for an additional six hours. A shameful decision that I feel will be brought up at the pearly gates but it was probably best that our first impression wasn’t based on bloodshot eyes and breath that could passively inebriate a baby. The good news, however, is that this blog should only be half the length given we only had half a day.

Once finally awake and clean, we drove to the end of Magazine Street that meets the mighty Mississippi to allow our pup some time to growl and bare her teeth to a gaggle of friendly dogs before setting off on a 5 mile mindless stroll in search of nothing in particular beyond food. Kate abuses me when I’m hungover as she knows that I’m too weak and my reactions aren’t quick enough to stop her dashing into shops to try on dresses but I get my revenge by demanding regular nourishment. One such stop was at the Bee Sweet cupcake shop where we enjoyed the lightest ginger-snap topped carrot cup cake I’ve ever had the pleasure of trying. Next food stop was at the dog-friendly Ignatius that served up high-quality, monster portions of classic New Orleans comfort food that would almost immediately negate the previous evening’s Hurricanes and Hand Grenades. Kate’s Seafood Gumbo came with a raft of rice and had that incredible crawfish stock flavour resonating throughout where my Popeye’s Arm-sized Roast Beef Po Boy contained half a cow of fork tender, slow braised, shredded beef that was good to the very last bite.

We even managed to stumble upon our first Mardi Gras parade on the way home although I missed most of it as I was inside Whole Foods picking out the ingredients for that evening’s dinner. Kate tells me that a procession of trucks and cars pumped out music whilst drunk old men dressed in bright Egyptian costumes threw out arms full of beads to anyone within throw’s reach. I had the camera in my pocket so we have no photos of the actual parade but Molly did have a plethora of brightly coloured strings of beads on her when I emerged from the supermarket which she seemed to really enjoy wearing. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that she had so many beads as the rule is “no boobs, no beads” and technically she does have all six of her nipples on permanent display…except when Kate insists she wears her hideous “I Heart New York” hoodie.

In order to avoid sacking off the volunteer work for the second day running (something that would surely seal our destiny as a tenant of Beelzebub), we had a quiet, booze-free night. I cooked us up some Cajun seared scallops with porcini and cremini mushroom risotto and a succotash of corn, sprout leaves, garlic, green pepper and chili. I’m asking Kate for her marks out of the ten for the affair now and she’s telling me…”mmm, dunno babes, is one like the worst meal ever and 10 is the best meal ever? I’m going to give it a…(pause 10 seconds) 7 or an 8. Make it 7.5”. I’ll never hire that girl as my publicist.

Tomorrow is Day 100 on our trip. Where has the time gone? Read the previous 99 blogs if you want a factual answer to that rhetorical question.

No comments: