Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Day 104 - The Handyman & The Slacker

Author – Grant
Based In – New Orleans
Today's Biggest Talking Point in the Pre Volunteering Pep Talk - There was a shooting half a block away from the volunteer hut over the weekend. No one hurt…not even the person the shooter was aiming at.

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157613985350384/

This particular blog entry wins the competition for being written in the strangest venue as I am sat opposite Kate who is having some extensive dental work done. I am present, theoretically, to calm her fears because she gets nervous but the reality is that the Zanax she took has turned her into a space cadet who uses phrases like "your twisting my mellon man" without a hint of irony. Anyway, that's happening today and you're supposed to be hearing about yesterday so let's rewind 30 hours. Cue Scooby Doo flashback scene...

In the middle of an era of Kate being ill, such as we are in now, my first job of the day is to attempt to establish whether her lack of desire to get up is due to ongoing illness or the usual laziness. There are a few tricks I can try to help work this out (offer her food, fart under the duvet etc) where any reaction beyond grunting is a sign that she's perfectly healthy and just procrastinating. The jury is still out on whether she was being lazy or was genuinely ill on the morning of Day 104 but the facts are that she persuaded me to go volunteering without her and by the time I got home, she was 100% recovered. Suspicious, no?

The United Saints Recovery Project continues to roll forward with all the momentum of a sticky bun covered in glue (i.e. painfully slowly). The problem is that no one has the foresight to plan what we need for the day so the first two hours are spent either waiting for someone to go to Home Depot to collect things like tiles (who would have thought tiling would need tiles?) or signing out tools from the recovering crack addict in charge of the tool shed. Despite such setbacks, today I managed to finish the tiling in the apartment Kate and I have been working on and the sense of achievement was truly immense so I wasted the next 10 minutes standing back and admiring my own good work. Just a bit of grouting and the place will be fit to live in...assuming you aren't adversely affected by asbestos.

So like I said, I got home to a fully recovered wife after my day at the building site. It seems a bit like we're living out a temporary alternate existence at the moment. Kate looked keen to continue the role play when I arrived home caked in plaster but clearly we have very different ideas about what our life would be like under this scenario as she looked shocked when I beat the living crap out of her for not having my dinner on the table when I walked through the door. Just kidding...I barely scratched her.

After a very successful mall visit (pants, computer speakers, knife sharpener, liquid smoke…obviously), dinner was a home cooked affair of thick pork chops (comically known as American Cut...not sure if it's the thick part or the fat part that makes the cut specifically American) with classic mashed potatoes, mixed sautéed veg and a smoky shallot, mustard and cream sauce. All very yum but far too large and the one major thing I learnt that evening was that Molly's digestive system can't cope with pork. I would imagine she has cramp in her hind legs from the amount of stooping she did between 10pm and midnight...

Just a half day volunteering tomorrow because my ginger ladies need some medical attention. The wife needs some dentistry work and the dog needs to stop limping. Odds being offered on Kate getting her ass out of bed to volunteer for the first time since last Friday…10-1.

No comments: