Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 91 - Cotton Pickin' Marriage

Author - Grant
From – Jackson, Mississippi
To – Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Miles Driven – 87

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157613549253655/

Today commemorates precisely two years since Kate and I got married on the idyllic island of Phi Phi in Thailand. It took some reflection and debate for us to conclude that it has only been two years that we have been married because it feels much longer and I can’t work out if that is a good thing (because it feels so familiar) or if it’s a bad thing (because we feel like we’re closer to the seven year itch). Either way, I know that we aren’t likely to make it to our third unless Kate pulls her finger out soon and gets me a belated present. Let me explain. The second anniversary is supposed to be celebrated with cotton which is handy given that we are in the centre of the universe for cotton production. Not only did I get her a cotton related present but I also piled in with a card and something chocolate…although admittedly the last two were bought on the morning of the anniversary. I, however, received jack and at the time of writing this (some 48 hours later) I am still no more cottony. And don’t be fooled by the Reeses Pieces heart you may see me pictured with as I bought that for myself. On the plus side, I now feel fully justified to completely ignore Valentine’s Day which is handy as it falls on the same night as the All Star Basketball Dunk Competition which, if anyone wants me, I will be watching in Hooters.

So given that our current lives are a permanent vacation, it seemed a bit extravagant to celebrate our anniversary with too much panache so, instead, we took the opportunity to chill out and cross off a few chores that have been gathering. For example, we did a bunch of research into the upcoming few days of the trip (something that is particularly time consuming but essential if we are to get the best out of the places we stay in for just a few days) and we arranged to get Bridget kitted out with Satellite Radio because the long journeys are killing us at the moment as we have heard each other’s dull-ass stories at least a dozen times. We took Molly for one of her least interesting walks ever as it was on a 40 mile bike path lined by trees where the view as far as the eye can see in either direction at every point on the stretch we visited is completely identical. And then, in true anniversary style, we had a good old fashioned barney in the car on the way home about directions or some such nonsense.

Still, the night ended very well with a visit to the fantastic, yet strangely located amongst well over half a dozen car dealerships, Thai restaurant, Suwannah. Firstly, I know how cheesy it must sound to have Thai but we both really miss the place and it’s good to reminisce like old people. After being a bit disappointed that they didn’t serve Chang (a top Thai beer that contains formaldehyde and they just happen to sponsor Everton) and that they had run out of Singha, everything that followed delighted. First to hit the belly was a complimentary starter of chicken and rice soup that was more Chinese in style than the molten Thai soups but was tasty nevertheless. The starters we ordered were a fantastic Thai Sirloin Salad (think spicy, fish sauce, green onions, nuts and greens) and deep-fried monster won-tons containing pork, crab and shrimp which were also excellent. We shared mains of Massaman Chicken Curry (ordered because of my wife’s freakish obsession with potatoes in curry) and Scallop, Shrimp and Calamari Pad Thai all accompanied by sticky rice shaped in hearts which, I hope you know me well enough to know, was pure coincidence. A truly fantastic meal and a big thanks to my mum who sponsored it. Free stuff is, without doubt, my favourite stuff. Now if anyone would like to buy us a house then that would be lovely.

The relaxation ends tomorrow as the three of us plan to walk somewhere between 10 and 20 miles in De Soto National Forest, depending on how hilly it is.

No comments: