Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 92 - Quite The Week

Author – Grant
Based In – Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Via – De Soto National Forest, Mississippi
Miles Driven – 80
Miles Walked – 16

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157613549436557/

Today was defined by two incredible feats. In reverse order of importance and historical significance, we completed a 4 hour, 16 mile hike through the De Soto National Park and Everton dumped Liverpoo out of the FA Cup with a last minute winner in extra time. We’ll have to wait a couple of months to confirm this but it looks like, in just over a week, Everton have dented Livercrap’s title challenge as well as ending any cup dreams. Let this forever be known as Golden Wednesday celebrated annually with national street parties and fairs. I’ll happily foot the bill.

Anyway, back on track to events that I actually had some control over (although don’t discount the power of positive mental attitude as I still think I played a major part in the ’95 cup win). A quick visit to the park’s visitor centre revealed two hikes, a 24 mile flat walk or a 41 mile “challenging” walk. Now I don’t know what your definition of challenging is but examples for me include ordering salad, juggling three differently sized objects or saying doody without giggling. Walking 41 miles of undulating forest terrain, however, falls into the “insane” category. As such, we decided to tackle the flatter 24 mile Tuxachanie walk and, even then, to only bite off two thirds of it. I think it turned out to be a great decision because we saw some beautiful forest, a perfect lily-pad covered lake, barely any other walkers and, most importantly, none of the black bears or four kinds of venomous snake that hang out in this neighbourhood. Kate even knocked something off her personal list of things she’d never done in the woods before but apparently I’m not allowed to mention that (and I promise you it was nothing saucy). It’s dawning on me that reading about us walking probably isn’t very interesting so I’ll stop talking about that now but it really was very good stuff.

If our day was dull to read about then the late afternoon and evening are going to put you in a coma. Having just checked the storylines of the current top ten thrillers, I notice that none of them contain themes based on Laundromat visits, taking your car to Best Buy to get the Satellite Radio we bought yesterday professionally installed (if I did it, it would pick up Russian radio) or eating dinner at Chilis because it was the closest eatery to Best Buy and they had our car. As such, I’ll not bore you with them as I’m still secretly hoping this blog can pick up a movie deal, book contract or, as a bare minimum, a serialisation in The Sun.

Tomorrow we’re cycling the 40 mile bike path that bored us to death on foot yesterday. Let’s hope it’s a darn sight more interesting at four times the speed.

No comments: