Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 82 - Headaches, Superbowl & Salad Dressings

Author – Grant
From – Sarasota, Florida
To – Valdosta, Georgia
Via – Tampa, Florida
Miles Driven - 284

Today’s Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157612940417425/

Not good news today - Kate woke up with a headache. For a normal person that would mean popping a couple of Advil and getting the fluff on with it. For Kate it means a day of avoiding sun-light in a semi-coma state. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not calling her a lightweight (well, not this time) as clearly she is properly ill and I have no real comprehension of what a migraine is like. All I know is that I have several simple jobs throughout the day:

1) Redirect the sun never to be in her face. Driving 284 miles through Florida makes this a fairly tough task but I’ll give myself a B+ for my, often dangerous, high speed one handed sun-visor readjustments.
2) Hold her head every second she is awake. I am hopeless at this as it’s really boring. I know how selfish that sounds but doing it for 10 seconds just seems to make it worse when I stop so, I figure, don’t start. I get an F for this.
3) Don’t eat hot, “smelly” food in a confined space near her (e.g. car, hotel room etc) as this triggers projectile vomiting. As I don’t want to get puked on, I’m fairly good at obeying this rule. Tonight, for example, I had dinner (a microwaved bowl of soup…sometimes it really sucks not to have a kitchen) in the lobby of our hotel. The girl behind reception couldn’t work out if I was a hobo, a mad man or a combo of the two. Not my finest moment but I award myself an A+ grade for effort.
4) Ensure that, when the recovery begins, the “supplies” are ready. The list is always the same…crisps (ready salted), a banana, full-fat sprite, a fruity power/gatorade and skittles (the sweet it is impossible to order over the counter without sounding gay). Another A+ for me as every ingredient is waiting to be devoured.
My overall nursing grade is B-. Shows potential but could excel with more effort.

Shame she slept throughout today’s travel as the first hour was a stunning drive over the huge bridges spanning Tampa Bay. This wasn’t the original route but I wanted to have a gawp at the Raymond James football stadium which will be hosting Superbowl 17 million (or something) in exactly seven days. I think it is generally a bloke thing to feel the need to see stadia even if they aren’t currently in use but I drove away from Tampa thoroughly relishing next week’s encounter between the Cardinals and the Steelers. Theoretically we’ll be somewhere in Mississippi when it’s on but I’ll get a strange and probably unjust sense of pride when I see stadium on TV and will be able to say “I’ve been there”. However, presumably I’ll be trumped by Kate’s “I nearly puked on that”. So I detoured in search of one sporting venue but came across three. Unsurprisingly I passed Tropicana Field (Tampa Bay Devil Ray’s colossal indoor baseball stadium) but I also passed the huge New York Yankees summer training complex and, judging by the crowds milling around, they were in session. Which reminds me…just 2 ½ months until the season starts. That’s when this blog will become surprisingly baseball dominated as I want to see as many stadiums as possible.
This doesn’t quite fit in with any other part of today but it’s become a recurring theme recently. I ordered a salad today (that’s not the recurring theme; that will never be the recurring theme) and it came with enough dressing on the side to wash your feet in. Just check out the picture – there was at least 200ml of the gloop. I used about a third of one of the two pots and even then it felt a bit smothered. It has the dual unwanted effects of turning a relatively healthy meal into a lard-busting binge and completely masking the flavour of the salad components. Other salads we have got recently have come with sachets of vinaigrette that could easily double as dog pillows. It’s mental. I’m glad I’ve got that off my chest - this blog is saving me a fortune in therapy fees.

Nothing more of interest to report today. Another decent sized drive up to Atlanta tomorrow. Cross your fingers for a clear head for Kate…mainly because I wouldn’t mind a hand packing up the car in the morning…

1 comment:

Mykonos said...

Ah Atlanta,

I've only been there once when I was about eleven and my family was driving straight to Florida from Milwaukee for vacation. I made my mom pull off the freeway so I could pee. It was in some parking lot next to a giant glass bank building. Check it out for me and take a picture.