Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Days 208 to 210 - Vancouver Pt 2

Author - Kate

Based In - Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada


Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157619037244307/


Grant has had to go home before on the trip and to be honest the time passed pretty slowly and me and Molly were kinda bored on our own.  This time being in the same town as two uni mates meant that the days flew by but as a preggars lady with no stamina I have to admit to being completely knackered out by the crazy social schedule.  Dont get me wrong, we only went out to one bar (I had cranberry juice) and we didnt actually leave the girls flat after dark but chatting, wandering round town, shopping and eating with the girls is tiring when you have got used to the regime that Grant and I have been following (lay ins every day and  3pm naps followed by a coma like sleep at around 10pm, mainly eating filling the time in between).   I feel like I got to know Vancouver really well but more importantly I got to catch up with Charlie and Chatty.


On Friday Sarah took the day off and the three of us headed to Deep cove which is a beautiful lake or river or something (I havnt gotten any more into the details without Grant) and the houses there are amazing.  We all want to live there and that may be why the houses are around 7 million each - ah well.  Sarah asked if we wanted to hike to the rock overlooking the water.  I panicked slightly as the start of the hike seems to be 10 flights of stairs and thats not really part of the regime I mentioned earlier but luckily Charlie didnt fancy it either so I didnt come off as too much of a wimp.  Instead we had a stroll and then lunch on a patio of a nice restaurant and drooled over the houses in the local real estate mag.   


The weather was awesome the whole time we were in town so we’d spent a lot of time outside while we were there.  Saturday we opted for some indoors time for a change and went shopping in Kits.  Kits is a cool little part of Vancouver with loads of shops and brunchy places that for some reason has loads of maternity stores so Sarah took me into a couple.  The thing is Sarah seemed much more relaxed about me being pregnant than I was feeling that morning.  I was getting freaked out by all of the weird tops with holes for breast feeding and when I tried on a baby bump pillow to see how my belly will look soon I had to rip it off to prevent a mini panic attack.  So we ditched the baby shops and went to find Sarah a hot date outfit so that I could live vicariously.  


Since it was still boiling we headed to Kips beach once Charlie finished work and had a pinic along with the whole of the rest of Vancouver.  I hadnt pictured people bbq-ing on beaches when I thought about Canada but for a couple of weeks / months over summer the beaches are packed full of people playing footie and volleyball.  Its got a very young vibe and made me wonder if Santa Barbara will feel a bit old compared to it but then Im feeling quite old these days though so maybe it’ll be ok.  


The next day was roasting again so Sarah and I wandered over to Granville Island to get lunch and then met Charlie after work for goodbye drinks.  Like I said there was no crazy partying just nights in with videos and hanging out but I was wrecked at this point and so after picking Grant up form the airport (he had pretty much lost his voice from shouting at the football) we both fell asleep at 8pm - he must’ve been missing his afternoon naps too.


In 3 days the trip will be over, kind of, we will be house hunting and still new in town so its not exactly like going back to work but it will be different.  Im looking forward to getting settled but Im gonna miss our trip.      

No comments: