Friday, April 17, 2009

Days 158 to 163 - There's No Place Like Home

Author - Grant
Based In - The Mighty United Kingdom

Today's Photoshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/32017704@N03/sets/72157616983517750/

Despite the shitty circumstances, it was truly great to get home for a few days and catch up with people that, quite frankly, I haven't seen for far too long.  Kate stayed behind in Santa Ana / Huntington Beach to look after Molly and all our worldly belongings whilst I squeezed in a whistlestop tour of the UK that took in every close family member that still resides there.  Tears were shed, laughs were had and far too many beers were drunk.  Big thanks to everyone for all their hospitality with a special mention to my Auntie Lyndsay who insisted that everyone took photos of what they ate so that it could be included in this blog!  Deep down I think she was just hankering for a good review of her beef bourguignon and, although I'm not sure how ethically sound it is to rate a meal at a pre-funeral wake, it was incredible.

And did I mention that I has the greatest Fish & Chips in the world with my mum in Blackpool?  I used to work in a chippy (and yes, I still managed to keep this incredible physique) that did incredible chips and I used to work in another that did incredible fish but Seniors Fish & Chip Shop in Normoss did both exceptionally.  Unlike most chippies, they offered a choice of about half a dozen kinds of fish but I stuck with locally caught haddock which I think is most suited as it is light and flaky but has a slightly meatier quality than cod.  Greedily and, as it turns out, m
istakenly I ordered the large which was the size of my forearm and came with 
large chips and a vat of mushy peas, lashings of bread and butter (white, ultra-processed, butter thick enough to leave teeth marks...the perfect accompaniment) and the occasional dip into my brother's gravy (not a euphemism).  Splendid stuff and now surely a permanent, regular fixture on the Blackpool visit list.  Sorry Ian.

It's always tough leaving home but driving to Heathrow in
 torrential rain and having perpetually sunny, 80 degree days to return to certainly helped.  The news that Kate has booked Britney Spears tickets in LA also secretly excites me but that is assuming I can buy some binoculars between now and Sunday.

No comments: